Vegetable Biryani is that quintessential rice dish which is synonymous with good food and celebrations. Made with rice, spices, and vegetables, Biryani is a one-pot dish that is often served with shorba (gravy) and raita. It’s a perfect party recipe that can also be made in a pressure cooker without layering. This biryani recipe is the traditional way of making biryani in a pot, sealed with dough and slow cooked. Traditional methods of cooking biryani, allow the spices to infuse with the rice and give it a nice smoky and unique flavor.
Magic of MayaFood Spices
- 400 gm soaked Basmati Rice
- 2 large sliced onion
- 1/2 tsp clove powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 100 gm chopped potato
- 100 gm chopped bean green
- Salt as required
- 1/2 cup beaten yogurt (curd)
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 sprigs mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kewra
- 8 cup water
- 7 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 100 gm peas
- 100 gm chopped cauliflower
- 100 gm sliced carrot
- 2 pinches powdered black pepper
- 4 black cardamom
- 2 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon rose water
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Drain the rice under cold running water and soak it for half an hour.
- Heat a pan with 4 tablespoons of ghee in it over a moderate flame. Fry the sliced onion till golden brown and remove with a slotted spoon. Drain fried slices of onion on absorbent paper.
- In the same pan, saute half of the black cumin seeds till they begin to sizzle. Add cloves, cinnamon, half the nutmeg, peppercorns and saute them till they get fragrant.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and saute for one minute. Now add salt, pepper, yogurt, and vegetables and saute them over a low heat till the vegetables are almost tender.
- In the meanwhile, in a separate large pan, bring 8 cups water to a boil with 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Tie the remaining cloves, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, black cardamoms and green cardamoms in a piece of muslin cloth to make a small bundle (potli) and add to the water with bay leaves.
- Cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes to allow the spices to infuse the water with their flavor.
- Drain the rice, add to the pan and cook till half done. Remove from the heat and reserve the strained water.
- Stir the remaining ghee into the rice and set aside.To assemble the biryani, spread half the fried onions at the base of a deep heavy-bottomed heatproof casserole.
- Spread half the rice over the onions. Then spread a layer of the vegetables and the chopped mint over the rice. For garnishing, sprinkle rose water over the rice. Serve hot!
Serving Ideas: Serve Vegetable Biryani with some curd raita and papad in lunch or dinner. It can also be packed in a lunchbox with a curd and pickle.
To check out more of our products, visit us at Click here