Coconut Barfi is a classic and traditional recipe of an Indian sweet that is specially prepared for Raksha Bandhan festival and other special occasions. Coconut and festivities go hand in hand because the sweets made from them are auspicious and are used as offerings at sacred rituals performed during festivals. Kopra Pak is one of the everyone’s favorite sweets that come every Diwali or Holi, it has become a ritual at my home to make these. It is important to use freshly grated coconut to make this sweet as opposed to using frozen or desiccated versions of the coconut. The taste and the juices that emanate from the fresh coconut give the special richness to this delicacy.
Wishing you all a Happy Raksha Bandhan Festival.
Magic of MayaFood Products
Ingredients for Coconut Burfi Recipe
Method of Preparation
- To begin making the Coconut Barfi Recipe, we will first make the sugar syrup. In a medium size sauce pan; stir in the sugar and water with the heat on medium. Once the sugar has melted continue to boil the sugar mixture until the liquid reaches a two string consistency.
- To know the right consistency – do the cold water candy test. Take few tablespoons of water in a cup; add a drop of sugar syrup to water. If it holds its shape like a softball and doesn’t dissolve into water then it’s at the right consistency.
- Add the grated coconut, milk and cardamom powder to the sugar syrup. With the heat on medium continue stirring frequently to prevent the mixture from sticking to the pan.
- In 10 to 15 minutes, the mixture will thicken and will come away from the sides of the pan. This happens with the coconut releasing its oil. At this stage turn off the heat and be careful not to stir any longer on heat as the mixture can get over cooked and will not set to the consistency required. The sugar will crystallize making the burfi very hard.
- Transfer the coconut burfi mixture to a tray (8 x 8-inch square which has a 2-inch min height) greased with ghee.
- Level the burfi mixture. Run a knife to cut into squares and allow it to cool and set on the tray for more than a couple of hours.
- Once cooled completely, separate the pre cut Coconut Barfi and serve for festivals and special occasions.
- Sprinkle some saffron and put cashews on the top of coconut barfi
- Store the Coconut Burfi in air tight containers in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
- Serve the Coconut Burfi Recipe (Kopra Pak/ Fresh Coconut Fudge) recipe as tea time snack or as a Party dessert.
Taste: Sweet and soft with mild cardamon flavor
Serving Ideas: Enjoy it as dessert after dinner or as a candy anytime you like it.
To check out more tasty recipes, visit us at Click here