Palak Paneer is likely the most popular paneer dish from North India. Creamy spinach with tasty paneer makes a delicious main dish.
Magic of Maya Food Spices
- 10 oz spinach (washed and clean, about 6 cups packed spinach)
- 1-1/2 cups paneer (cubed into bite-size, about 1/3 pound of paneer)
- 1 tomato (finely chopped, this will make 3/4 of chopped tomato)
- 1 green chili (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp ginger (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 tsp asafetida (hing)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- First, blanch the spinach, this helps to keep the spinach color bright. To blanch the spinach, boil about 6 cups of water in a saucepan, and let the spinach boil for one minute. Drain the water and put the spinach in ice cold water for about two minute. Drain the water.
- Blend the spinach, ginger and green chili. Spinach should be creamy but not pasty.
- Soak the cubed paneer in about three cups of hot water, for about 5 minutes or more. This helps to give the paneer soft texture. Set aside.
- While cooking, spinach can splatter, use larger sauce pan. Heat the oil in a saucepan, over medium-high heat. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away it is ready.
- Add cumin seed and asafetida. After cumin seeds crack, add the tomatoes and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Tomatoes should be tender, not mushy. Add coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, salt, and sugar, stir and add the spinach.
- After spinach comes to boil lower the heat to low and let the spinach cook for about 5-6 minutes do not cover the pot. This helps to keep the green color of spinach.
- Mix the flour to 1/2 cup of water and add to the spinach, also add the cream. Mix it well and let it cook for five minutes. If needed add little more water.
- Drain the paneer and fold it gently with spinach and let it simmer for about five minutes.
Palak paneer is ready, serve with naan, tandoori roti, Paratha.