This picnic fried chicken has a delicious coating that is like KFC. It has a bit of spice, a crunchy coating and moist chicken inside. You can pack it up while still hot and it transports easily for you to share with family and friends.
Magic of Maya Foods Spices
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil for frying
- Pat chicken pieces with paper towels; place in large flat dish. Pour buttermilk over chicken; cover, and allow to soak at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Combine coating ingredients in the large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken pieces, one at a time, and shake to coat well. Lay coated pieces on waxed paper for 15 minutes to allow the coating to dry (will cling better to frying).
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat 1/2 inch oil to 350°-360°. Fry chicken, several pieces at a time, for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Reduce heat to 325°; cook chicken, turning occasionally, for 25-35 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is tender. Remove to paper towels and keep warm.Yield: 6 servings.